For the most part of the year I have been reading endlessly on books about the Holocaust. I've read so many stories of similar pain and suffering, yet come across other ones that still speak of the same struggle. To date, I have bought and read books such as (not in order):
.:The Girl in the Red Coat:.
A memoir by Roma Ligocka. She's the cousin of Roman Polanski, who made the film, "The Pianist" (which I can't bring myself to finish in viewing). Her character was also featured in Schindler's List as that little girl walking through a crowded street with her red coat. The film was black and white but the only color was her red coat. Her family was kicked into a ghetto when she was a toddler and she recalls all the horrors witnessed. She and her mother ran into death traps which they miraculously escaped.
.:The Last Jews in Berlin:.
Berlin was the capital of Germany and the many Jews left behind went into underground hiding. Many perished, only a few survived. Their stories are told...
.:The Diary of a Young Girl (Anne Frank), The Definitive Edition:.
Two years in hiding were spent writing about life in an attic. Anne Frank and company were eventually caught, and all but one--her father--died.
.:The Hidden Life of Otto Frank:.
Otto Frank is Anne's father, and this book explores his experience and life after the camps. He lived the rest of his life in dedication to Anne Frank by publishing her book and establishing foundations in her memory.
Other books I'm currently reading (yes, as in simultaneously!):
Maus I and II
Anne Frank Remembered, by Miep Gies
The Holocaust Chronicle
Children In the Holocaust and World War II
The Holocaust: Death Camps
Introducing the Holocaust
Poland in World War II
Bataan, Death March, Capas: A Tale of Japanese Cruelty and American Injustice
Why am I reading these? I don't really have a specific reason. I do want to understand the depths of human suffering throughout history's time.
Other books I've read and been reading aside from the Holocaust are:
Diana's Boys (kind of a biography of William and Harry)
Faith Under Fire (stories of World War II veterans)
The Religion Book (encyclopedia of religion stuff)
The Titanic: End of a Dream (a detailed look into what happened to the ship)
Visions of the Virgin Mary (a book that studied apparitions against an astrological chart)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment